Let’s face it, it’s not everyone’s goal to live the healthiest lifestyle possible. On the other hand, people do not want to develop and succumb to the diseases we face in life today. One of the problems I’ve witnessed with winning people over to following healthier lifestyles comes from a misunderstanding that life’s pleasures will need to be SACRIFICED to obtain a better quality of health. They believe the transition from current living to healthy living requires too much change and is therefore, unattainable. What does it take to modify a current unhealthy lifestyle without causing significant deprivation and a preconceived notion of likely failure?
THE FIVE STEP APPROACH:
1. For long term results to occur, an individual must create a MINDSET focused on unwavering conviction. This new focus makes the individual realize that modifying a lifestyle will create opportunities previously unavailable that add real qualitative relevance to life. If a person does not truly believe this concept, a long term approach is not possible.
2. For long term results to occur, an individual must VALUE their life and believe their is purpose in living. Without this sense of self value, our function (vs. purpose) becomes limited to satisfying the needs of others at our own expense. We wind up working to build other people’s businesses; we fulfill the function of spouse and/or parent to satisfy the responsibilities associated with these titles, we take the remaining time to complete “to-do” lists before the weekend is over and the repetition of another week begins. Our personal INDIVIDUAL LIVES slowly lose meaning as we “EXIST” to fulfill the needs of others.
3. For long term results to occur, an individual must PRIORITIZE the 24 hour day. Happiness and fulfillment is more easily achieved when the “teeter totter” is somewhat in the middle. This requires taking CONTROL of a 24 hour day and CREATING TIME to spend counterbalancing the stresses each day brings. This time, however, should NOT be focused on “feel good” activities or events detrimental to the individual’s overall well being. It should be used to provide the body the physical, mental and emotional needs in ways that increase awareness, energy and strength needed to live the quality of life a person chooses. This means our solutions to our own individual needs must be based on events and activities that lead to LONG TERM GROWTH and HAPPINESS rather than SHORT TERM TEMPORARY “feel good” “RELIEF.”
4. For long term results to occur, an individual must DEFINE THEIR PURPOSE(S) in life. This is a crucial component most people never think about. To prove my point, “what is/are your purpose(s) in life?” If the answer came rolling off your tongue, you know your purpose(s). If you had to think about an answer, it means you are NOT spending each and every day aiming to fulfill it. This is important because purpose helps improve clarity of thought and actions determining whether we have derailed from a CHOSEN PATH we wish to follow.
5. Finally, for long term results to occur, an individual must COMMIT themselves to pursuing their purpose(s) in life. Purpose is NOT just ONE tangible goal. Purpose is conceptual and applies to a broad spectrum of categories.
In two sentence, I will now provide an example that ties all five of these steps together to help you understand a PROCESS that can transform your life in a better direction starting today. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, or prove my suggestions wrong, (which anyone is capable of doing) I suggest applying this approach to your life (with a positive attitude) and awareness that bumps (failures) will be experienced along the way. Solving bumps (failures) is part of the process that helps us grow and FEEL BETTER about ourselves. This MINDSET will develop greater strength reinforcing this POSITIVE message when the individual is able to focus on feelings of success overcoming the bumps (failures) rather than the bumps (failures) themselves.
…and now, the two sentence…
EXAMPLE: LOSING WEIGHT
(FIRST SENTENCE: ) If a person wants to lose weight, A MINDSET must be created to fulfill a truthful COMMITMENT to following a healthier lifestyle. (SECOND SENTENCE: ) You will notice, this creates a LONG TERM MISSION (versus a short term mission reaching a desired number on a scale) defining a PURPOSE and improving self VALUE by PRIORITIZING TIME allotted to achieving this outcome.
If you read these two sentences a few times, you will begin to understand the pattern and process behind its methodology. I believe most people would choose a life abundant in joy and happiness over misery and isolation. This approach reinforces a positive concept and uses a REALISTIC PROCESS to achieve this outcome. Feeling good about ourselves, our lives and the purposes we live for provides the fuel needed to SUCCESSFULLY sustain this joyful PURPOSEFUL living. By turning these words and concepts
you too can experience these benefits.